Analytics

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Post #2982 M

Quote of the Day
When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him.
Thomas Szasz

NOTE: My ISP had an outage overnight, so I'm backdating this post somewhat.

Tweet of the Day
DEAD WRONG: Savage Capitalism



Government and Tools of Accountability



My Favorite Senator Takes On A Self-Serving Congress



Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Glenn McCoy via Townhall

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists


Helen Reddy, "You're My World". I love the US original (Cilla Black) and Reddy's. It's Reddy's final Top 40 hit, and her remake actually improved over the chart performance of Black's 1964 original. I question artists who lapse to remakes (Ronstadt is an exception). It's true you can crank out sales with a devoted fan base, but you risk losing the notoriously fickle, ever-changing pop music audience. Some do it successfully--take Sedaka's slow remake of his bouncy original "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do", but I know as a fan I prefer to listen to a performance close to an artist's original. If Springsteen adapted "Born to  Run" with a slow, jazzy arrangement, it would be a turn-off. I never liked Clapton's acoustic arrangement of "Layla". You really don't want to alienate your own fan base.