Analytics

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Post #2975 M

Quote of the Day
The only thing I like about rich people is their money.
Nancy Astor

Tweet of the Day
The Royalty of DC



Nobel Prize in Literature Winner Bob Dylan

As a kid, I didn't know what to make of Dylan; I didn't really like his nasal tone and thought there were a lot better singers on the market. Many of his compositions were more commercial by other artist covers--e.g., Peter, Paul & Mary, "Blowin' in the Wind", Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man", and Billy Joel/Garth Brooks "To Make You Feel My Love".  But his artistry and innovation (including fusion of folk and rock) were never questioned--even challenging his audience, many who resisted the rock transition. Still, many of his tracks (take "Subterranean Homesick Blues", which blows me away after many listens) were instant classics, and one of the first albums I purchased, barely making enough money to earn my way through college, was a compilation of Dylan hits.









Reason/Jillette Look at Bob Dylan



Morally Hazardous, Unsustainable Entitlements



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Glenn McCoy via Townhall

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Helen Reddy, "Emotion". The last of a string of 6 #1's on the A/C chart from 1973-5. She had peaked and would see her last Top 40 hit in 1977.