Analytics

Friday, March 13, 2015

Miscellany: 3/13/15

Quote of the Day
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
The Dalai Lama

I'm back, the Friday the 13th curse to "progressives" everywhere. I had to set up my cable Internet connection today (along with other priorities) so it'll be a short post.

Public Education Parasites



A Pet Peeve: Moving Part I

As a UH doctoral student, I spent much of my residency period living in graduate student housing but moved into an apartment off campus my last year. Some maintenance worker had been in my apartment within a few days of my move-in and noticed I hdn't put up a shower curtain. I explained that I had taken baths and had no intention of ever taking a shower without a curtain. There certainly was no evidence of such an irrational thing; the apartment management wasn't willing to discuss it and threatened immediate eviction. So I had to put other priorities on hold while I ran down to a local department story to make an emergency purchase.

Probably my worst incident was back in 2001, The Indian-American consulting company figured that it was cheaper to move employees than pay travel expenses. I didn't want to move to the Milwaukee area to spend the last few weeks of their only Wisconsin client's project. (I decided to move to a northwest Chicago location with Metro service to Chicago.) An Indian developer colleague had also lived in California and recommended this East European-American company. Let's just say as an ex-professor I own a lot of books. The company in question did end up charging significantly less than my original movers to California. Two major problems: we had agreed I could pay by credit card. But once the goods got there, they wanted all cash, in advance--or else they would put it all in storage. I had to call my bank for how to deal with the extortion. The second part was dealing with my employers, who had committed to cover the expense but had blown up from sticker shock, accusing me of being duped.

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Lisa Benson via Townhall


Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Carly Simon, "Jesse". One of my top 3 Carly favorites ("Let the River Run", "You're So Vain"),