Analytics

Monday, August 25, 2014

Miscellany: 8/25/14

Quote of the Day
If you work on your mind with your mind, 
how can you avoid immense confusion?
Seng-Ts'an

Chart of the Day: Throwing Good Taxpayer Money After Bad
Courtesy of Mercatus Center
Image of the Day



Via Reason

2014-08-25-1129c761.jpg

It's Time For Me To Divorce the Tea Party

It was a simple question in FB Corner; I had never friended the Tea Party page on FB and in fact have never had any formal connection with the group. But I did identify with the core message of limited government. What has changed? Not me. I think the movement has been hijacked by social conservatives, nativists, and neocons. I was looking today at the threads on their page and I saw some anti-Obama threads, a suggestion of a US raid into Mexico to liberate certain American prisoners, multiple threads on radical Islamic groups, and Spanish-speaking schools. No threads on deregulation, spending cuts, civil liberties, etc. I generally filter out most of the anti-Obama stuff, not because I approve of him but I want to discuss policy, not personalities. I've seen a number of cartoons lampooning his vacations and golf game, but I only saw one I considered actually amusing enough to embed. As far as things like Spanish-instruction schools, just stop; given typical public education, I wouldn't be surprised if the kids forgot all their Spanish by fourth grade. Stop focusing on red meat politics and get more into scaling back government programs, regulations, etc.

Proposals









Facebook Corner

(Being Classically Liberal) M.P and I's book is approximately 400 pages and is filled with tons of valuable info. We're close to finishing it thank God. Still, please throw out some possible titles that you guys think would fit the book (it most focuses on the economics of immigration, inequality, unions, government spending, etc).
 "All I Needed To Know About the Political Economy I Didn't Learn in School"

(Being Classically Liberal). The Tea Party facebook page is incredibly annoying. (and I hope it goes without saying that Being Liberal is as well).
Several pages have 'Tea Party' in the title; I assume you are referring to the one with a DC address. That page does seem to annoy me; it seems to fixate on Latino immigration, Obama, and the War on Terror. I loathe red meat politics and fearmongering. I'm more worried about bad Obama policies than Obama personally, and the active military these guys promote is inconsistent with a small government footprint.


 I'm angry that businesses find it necessary to accommodate cranks pushing their dietary agenda on others.

Political Cartoon


Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Billy Joel, "All Shook Up"