Analytics

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Post #5214 M: Stossel on Gun Rights; Woods' Next Project

 Quote of the Day

A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. 
To live is to be slowly born.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery  

Stossel on Gun Rights

Woods' Next Project

I'm annoyed  by Woods' repetitious hero worship of Ron Paul. Now I'll probably include 1 or 2 Ron Paul clips a week, but he puts out more than that, and most won't make my cut. He tends to be repetitious, preachy, and has a bit of conspiracy theory in his blood. Second, Woods repeats Massie's argument against personal COVID-19 vaccination. No, on this topic, Massie's engineering degrees, to quote Shania Twain, don't impress me much. If in fact, he had been infected, it doesn't mean that his antibodies will adjust to new variants, he doesn't have data on the duration of his acquired immunity, etc. I've said this and related stuff in tweets and posts.

As for Woods' idea of a premium monthly expert speaker series, I don't think so. His cheesy sales pitch minds me of my grad school days at UT/Austin. The Daily Texan, the student newspaper, wanted to charge students Not that they needed it. At the time students made a large plurality of the anti-growth community, and the flood of local advertisers competing for student money easily met expenses. Why charge for it? Well, students really don't appreciate it if it's free...  Yeah, I don't think so. I really don't like paywalls. I used to subscribe to the WSJ portal paying what I regarded as a reasonable fee (under $100/year). I think WSJ must have lost sales to their more profitable print journal and jacked up to their online rates. Now it's like they give you a free lead blurb and you need to login to see the rest of a story, even an editorial. It's not even a question of whether I can afford it. I've essentially cut off WSJ coverage in the blog; I'm not going to pay for the privilege of promoting their content. Especially editorials.

Of course, Woods and others--even the "Good Morning Liberty" guys--have found a way to monetize their podcasts, e.g., "supporting listeners" (beyond occasional ads) by subscription services (although GML says they use the money to promote the cause). 

Political Cartoon

Choose Life

Musical Interlude: #1 Hits of 1975

BJ Thomas, "Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song"