Analytics

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Post $4343 In Remembrance of my Best Friend Bruce E. Breeding

Regular readers are no doubt aware of aspects over the past 6 months of Bruce's life with updates  in my journal format posts; more recently. I've embedded recent Facebook posts in my daily miscellany posts. A quick synopsis for unfamiliar readers: Bruce  who had been working as CFO for a faith based organization in the Austin area suffered a minor stroke at home at the beginning of June this was  quickly followed by a major stroke at the hospital. There were multiple operations to relieve brain swelling After some time he showed signs of awareness and slowly regaining communication, swallowing and limited dexterity skills at the first of 2 rehabilitation facilities. He went to a more advanced facility  in the Dallas area during September, in a condensed program  because his employer health insurance  would expire at the end of October

I recall spouse Susan announced their retirement in September; Medicare would cover 3 weeks at a skilled nursing facility in Austin. He adapted to use of a wheelchair and using a walker for short distances;he recognized, conversed, sang with visitors.  There were some glitches like awareness of dates but cognitive skills like math skills were intact, Bruce and spouse Susan are very devout Protestants, (Presbyterian  and a huge milestone was Susan driving them to their first Church service together since May. Then they went to their home parish after returning to Austin

Note that I haven't been in Texas during these past 6 months my primary source has based on Susan's related blog with some personal anecdotes mixed in

Susan had issues with the new facility, but Bruce would make what would turn out to be a fatal error in judgment. Overnight he needed assistance for a bathroom break but couldn't  find the nurse alert button. button He attempted to go by himself, but fell hitting his head . He subsequently had surgery to relieve brain swelling and his condition was compromised further by 2 minor strokes in the brain stem and the original major stroke Bruce had one period of consciousness early after admission but it seemed like his body was starting to shut down by Tuesday and he passed late that evening.


Bruce, Minnie Yen, and I shared  an MIS PhD student office from about 1982-1986 until I graduated. Bruce and Minnie were there before me, and one thing they had in common was being CPA's  Ironically I chose accounting  as my minor; Richard Scamell also chaired all 3 dissertation committees ; I think they graduated s couple of years later, Minnie going to Alaska-Anchorage, and Bruce to Murray State in Kentucky (I had gone to UWM. the only PhD granting university to make an offer).

I think Arkansas had made him an offer. I don't think he was asking for my opinion; I think Murray State had offered him more money. I made it clear I would have chosen Arkansas, But he had a growing family of 5 (Emily was born in Kentucky); I can't blame him for putting his family first.

I'm far more of an emailer; I don't know to this day  what happened in Kentucky, but he was there for  7 years,  a typical publish-tenure/perish. I wanted to do joint research with Bruce, but I couldn't get an appointment in 1991  during a recession. Maybe he tried and couldn't line up another appointment in 1995. I'm not sure how  I found out Bruce had moved to Plano, but I was on their Xmas card list until about 2007. I have a sister who lives in Plano (a NE suburb of Dallas .I don't recall if I discovered they had connected(probably name-dropping surnames, but Bruce was a Scouts volunteer and my older nephews were in Scouts)

I had lived in Irving in 1992-3 I; I do recall visiting Bruce while he was building his house and he discussed wiring and pointing out  the location of his secretary's office. he had called  his business InfotechAccounting.com. (My gmail account still shows his email at that defunct domain) I've been trying to remember when I was in the Dallas area in the late 1990's. I do remember when I was with Coopers & Lybrand in 1997 I went to Addison to do an Oracle EBS install

I recall a couple of email since then. I think he was aiming his services at small businesses and or nonprofits I think he asked a very detailed workgroup vs enterprise software question but I couldn't help much. Bruce didn't discuss details but the general impression was his business was struggling in a tough economy. At some point he moved to the Atlanta area to take s position at a nonprofit. He wrote to me some time later he had quit over some unethical issue he had come across, but didn't discuss specifics This was sometime before 2012 because I referenced it in an email to my Plano brother-in-law

I think the last I talked to them--and it was Susan. I had listed Bruce as a reference in government paperwork; an investigator reported back he couldn't reach workaholic Bruce I Googled their phone number in Georgia Presumably it worked out because  no follow-up at either end

 In the interim Susan  had survived a bout with cancer I had briefly connected on Facebook; I soon found myself swamped with rants against chemotherapy and for essential oils

So the last I heard from them was in 2014. My brother-in-law alerted me to  Susan's Facebook post on June 1. I've published  some daily Facebook over the past week, some  republished in my daily blog I'll close this post with my remembrance comment at All Saints in Austin:

I was one of Bruce's PhD student office mates at UH. I've lost my best friend. I'm a better man for knowing Bruce who truly lived his faith. He taught me racquetball and beat me like 21-2--and I had to work for those 2 points  I was one of Bruce's challenges having a disagreeable personality, but Bruce was so patient and nonjudgmental with me and invited me to family dinner on multiple occasions.for a bachelor  It was a wonderful alternative to frozen burritos. When Bruce later moved to Plano, my older nephews knew him as their Scoutmaster. He couldn't believe sweet, beautiful, petite Sharon was my little sister. I wondered how he had put up with me, and ever tactful he termed my personality" an acquired taste". My nephew Alan recently described him as uncommonly intelligent, warm and personal and raved about his outstanding singing voice; he's the best man I've ever met, a great blessing from God in my life. I would have done anything for him. I really loved him as my brother in Christ. I truly mourn his loss, Done too soon