Analytics

Monday, July 11, 2016

Miscellany: 7/11/16

Quote of the Day
I came to America because of the great, great freedom which I heard existed in this country. 
I made a mistake in selecting America as a land of freedom, 
a mistake I cannot repair in the balance of my lifetime.
Albert Einstein

Tweet of the Day
97% of WHAT?



Taxation Without Representation



Feedback Corner

(Reason thread on Johnson's fiscal conservative/socially liberal slogan continued)
Marriage is not ex post facto discrimination against other types of relationships. For over 2 centuries of American law and English law for centures before, marriage was exclusively heterosexual; it was an institution which promoted social stability (e.g., rivalrous claims on mates) and the socially acceptable foundation of procreation. Under our principles of Subsidiarity/federalism, things like health, public order and morals were enforced by locals, not the centralized government.

The same concerns are not relevant to gay communities, since natural offspring are not biologically possible. I think government should be restricted to things like common defense and arbitration of contracts, violations of unalienable rights, etc. Even though morally I might object to voluntary plural, gay, or other types of relationships, I don't think the State should pursue matters beyond its protective mandate of life, liberty, and property. I do think that people equally have the right to determine, e.g., who has the right to visit them in hospitals, etc., and similar marriage-like rights like inheritance.

Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Gary Varvel via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Michael Jackson, "Billie Jean".. My favorite Jackson tune, not even close. I think even if he never released any track but this one, he would be immoral. Just a brilliant performance and arrangement. The only thing--I don't necessarily see Jackson as a womanizer. He may have been, and women might be a better judge, but he doesn't come across to me as the wronged alpha male: he's slender, baby-faced, with a higher vocal range.