Analytics

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Miscellany: 6/29/16

Quote of the Day
The man who is so conscious of the rectitude of his intentions 
as to be willing to open his bosom to the inspection of the world 
is in possession of one of the strongest pillars of a decided character. 
The course of such a man will be firm and steady, 
because he has nothing to fear from the world, and 
is sure of the approbation and support of heaven.
Wirt

Tweet of the Day
DEAD WRONG: Climate Change Alarmism



More on the Challenges and Opportunities of Brexit



Don Boudreaux On the Counterproductive War on Drugs



When Prosecutors Don't Play Fair



Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Whitney Houston, "Try It On My Own". This is the last selection in my Houston retrospective. Just a note to curious readers: my selections are based on either Billboard rankings of hits or personal preferences for lesser known hits or tracks. Wikipedia discographies on artists have rankings, and I'm particularly drawn to hits placing in the Hot Top 40 and/or the Top 10 on the adult contemporary charts (sorry to those who prefer other charts like R&B or dance, but these are my criteria). These criteria do not guarantee selection if I don't care for the song, but I often include songs that I was not previously familiar with, including the last week or so of Houston's material. As I pointed out earlier, I am sometimes familiar with songs that got a lot of air play on A/C stations, like the earlier Jermaine Jackson duet ("If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful") or occasionally I bought the original album and liked an uncharted track; these selections, though, are more the exception than the rule. It's always possible that some tracks were omitted from the published discographies.

Next up: Michael Jackson.