Analytics

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Post #6947 J

 Pandemic Report

The latest CDC weekly statistics:

We continue to see the summer surge slowly receding from the top a few weeks back. No obvious story of the week, like the origins of COVID or availability of free COVID-19 tests via USPS (which I haven't received yet). I haven't seen any good statistics on the new COVID-19 vaccine update applications, now available for over a month. 

Other news items of interest:

  • COVID era fraud prosecutions continue:
  • "COVID-19 Raises Hypertension and Kidney Disease Risk in Type 1 Diabetics"
  • The Mediterranean diet followers have a lower risk of catching COVID and cope better when infected.
  • The lead Louisiana public health officials have been promoting crackpot anti-vaxxer misinformation which have resulted in among the lowest fully-vaccinated percentages of states.
  • A self-amplifying version of the mRNA vaccine has superior effectiveness over conventional mRNA vaccines 
  • The Alabama Supreme Court ruled the governor and hospital were entitled to immunity from COVID patient lawsuits. 
  • A lawsuit on behalf of a deceased  NY nursing home resident as a result of former NY Gov. Cuomo's disastrous policy putting infected patients in nursing homes was dismissed for unspecified reasons.
  • "This year's new "community snapshot" is the CDC's latest attempt to repackage its data in one place for Americans deciding when to take extra precautions recommended in its guidelines, like masking or testing, going into the fall and winter. It centers around a sweeping new weekly metric called "acute respiratory illness." The metric's debut fulfills a goal laid out by agency officials months ago, aiming to measure the risk of COVID-19 alongside other germs that spread through the air on a single scale from "minimal" to "very high.""
  • "Researchers have demonstrated very mild cognitive impairment in young healthy patients one year after suffering from Covid without any complications. A second study shows that the brains of older patients with a severe form of the disease appear to have aged by 20 years."
  • Researchers at Northwestern University who have studying the lasting effects of long COVID made a significant discovery that could lead to a potential treatment for thousands of patients...It was through lung CT scans that Tenney's doctor, Dr. Marc Sala, would learn scar tissue was forming in Tenney's lungs as well as the lungs of others participating in the study. Lab tests showed a certain cell type was the driving force behind the scarring."

Other Notes

The blog continues to run at a long-term trend rate. I think my latest essay series. on the Trump/Harris debate, is grabbing up to dozens of pageviews {some may be the same readers). The third one I published late Friday dealt with 2 topics I don't like writing about: abortion and immigration. In particular, I've written about immigration on many occasions over the life of the blog. I cannot explain how hard it is to write readably over the history of immigration. I couldn't find references I used in certain discussions of Mexican emigration.. It basically dealt with Trump's misconceptions and admiration for Eisenhower's failed Operation Wetback. Internet searching didn't yield what I was looking for--even searches of the blog. (And I don't recall the last time I pulled up an article from my blog; but I tool have a Blogger search function.) I found enough sources to recreate close to my original writeup. But writing the piece was like chiseling marble, very cumbersome. This series is difficult because both debaters are incompetent. It may well be I overexplain things. It's tough writing for people from diverse backgrounds. Twitter/X is going okay. I had 44 followers at last check---up from 41. Usually I get a notification for a new follower. Not lately; maybe it's old follower resuming their follow?

Earlier today was WWE's Bad Blood. No title changes. They did bring back Raquel Rodriguez, Heel champ Liv Morgan's former tag champion teammate, interfered against Rhea Ripley's challenge. Then there was MITB winner Tiffany's attempted cash-in of her guaranteed champion shot against champ Nia Jax, her mentor of sorts. Nia has been telling Tiffany to chase Liv's title; but it looks like Nia caught her in the act. Jimmy Uso's return led to Cody Rhodes and Roman Reign's expected win over the New Bloodline. There was a rumored appearance of the Rock bearing a title opposing both Cody and Roman; the rumors have been of Rock challenging Rhodes at Wrestlemania  and Reigns over the Bloodline. There was a HHH announcement of Crown Jewel super champ titles   

I'm still having unstable Internet connections. They sent a dunce over who tried to blame it on my eithernet/patch cable. I would have flunked that SOB so fast his head would still be spinning. Egg prices are still sticky high. I think Lidl dropped a penny to $3.76/dz, Walmart to $3.62. I got a notification from the Maryland Election Board they received my mailed ballot.