Analytics

Monday, January 30, 2023

Post #6091 J

 Pandemic Report

The latest stats from WaPo: 42.5k

The latest from CDC:



.




Well, we've slowed to about 42K cases daily. A variety of interesting posts:  A Hong Kong study shows a 90% reduction in deaths for a third (booster) mRNA shot for patients with multiple co-morbidities. And this addresses a pet peeve of mine where podcaster Tom Woods and others have dismissed COVID statistics as insignificant: CNN cites research showing COVID is the eighth leading cause of death among children. Yes, they are lower than for older groups, but still nontrivial. There's more information on Japan recategorizing COVID-19 to a level including seasonal flu this May. Finally, CDC has a website for you to find no-cost testing if you're experiencing symptoms or been in contact with an infected person.

Other Notes

Well, readership stats have already improved slightly above last month's record low, but without a blowout day tomorrow, it'll be the next lowest and among the 3 worst months over the past year. God knows what'll happen next month, the shortest of the year. I recently updated my Blogger webpages for the first time in years (links at top of my blog home page). A lot of work to do still.

On Twitter I'm doing better, back in the 1K+ impressions daily range for the first time in a while. Here's an image of my most current top tweets:


Weird dreams. I have an Indian-American friend RN who I haven't seen in 20 years. So, in this dream, he's accompanying me to a visit to India. And somehow, I've lost track of 2 of 3 suitcases, and I don't have my passport on me, And that's just the start of my problems. Sometimes when I get in these situations, I point out this must be a dream.

I'm writing this on my Chromebook because my USB keyboards are apparently not spill or splash-proof. So I've got one with a sticky 'C', another where the backspace doesn't work, etc. Really annoying. So, I have yet another keyboard on order from Amazon.

I'm still trying to figure out how I added a premium channel on Amazon Video. I got a notice thanking me for subscribing. I was able to stop the $10/month auto-renew. Amazon Support claims I must have clicked on a free trial. I don't think so.

The weird thing in that I got both my Amazon Cube and Chromecast working as inputs plus my cable box in my cheap flat TV.  I finally figured out how to pair the Chromecast remote using the virtual remote in the Google TV app. Not really what I found online.

WWE Royal Rumble has come and gone with the outcomes largely expected or predictable. The weird thing is they booked an angle where Rey Mysterio, apparently injured in a prior Smackdown, was announced but didn't appear, implying a Judgment Day attack. Not a fan of how they booked Karrion Kross in an earlier loss to Mysterio and then a quick exit from the Rumble. At one point months back, they teased a Kross challenge to Reigns. The latest booking hurt his character. We knew the split of Zahn from the Bloodline was going to happen sooner than later, but I didn't see Jey apparently split from the Bloodline putting the tag championship at risk and setting up an internal challenge to the Tribal Chief.  There was some chatter about Owens and Zahn challenging the Usos, but the Jey-Zahn alliance doesn't make that story relevant.