Analytics

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Post #4209 M: Tom Woods of Higher Education; What Price War?

Quote of the Day

It's never too late to become the person you might have been.
George Elliot  

Tom Woods on the Moral Mess of Higher Education

Oh my God! As an ex-professor, I LOVED this podcast; it may be the best one I've heard in years. I especially liked the discussion of student evaluations (which DON'T correlate with student performance) I've had my share of unfair bad ones, which seemed to be correlated with my perceived "unfair" higher standards/ than the quality of my courses. I've mentioned one of my harshest critics at UWM who, unwittingly, actually gave me my biggest compliment: "I learned more in Dr. Guillemette's course than any other course I've had here, but he deserves none of the credit. I had to do it all on my own." Welcome to college, kid! In the real world, you need to keep current without a professor there to guide you. But when you admit you learned more under my watch, and there are other students who have said the same, I'm doing my job, full stop better than your other profs.




What Price War?

This clip seems to date from the mid-Obama Administration but recently published clip.



Panics and Depressions in Early America


Choose Life










Political CartoonI

Courtesy of Jerry Holbert via Townhall

Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, "Beggin'"