Analytics

Friday, May 14, 2010

Miscellany: 5/14/10

New Arizona Law on Ethnic Studies Programs: 
A Lukewarm Thumbs Up

I have made it clear that I do not care for any thinly-disguised politically correct ideology being in any legitimate academic setting; this includes most of what passes today for minority or women's studies (not to mention relevant topics like social justice and liberation theology). I'm not saying there aren't legitimate academic issues regarding female health, sociology or history of ethnic groups in America, etc. Education is not about self-esteem for any politically-favored or protected group.

I've written a few posts referencing my Franco-American background. I've studied my culture on my own time; I've succeeded in academics without referencing a single Franco-American study or article. I do not have a problem with people researching or studying their ethnic heritage on their own time or participating in relevant political groups and causes. But I don't believe in shoving ethnic studies down students' throats or crowding out courses in Western Civilization or classical English literature in lieu of ethnic study courses or the obscure works of authors whom happen to be from a certain ethnic heritage or gender. I do not believe that truly educated people need to have politically correct ideology shoved down their throats.

The new Arizona law is less Draconian than my preferred approach, which would be to eliminate any public support for relevant programs and faculty. The law attempts to restrict dedicated minority classes (e.g., black history for blacks), ethnic-divisive courses (i.e., victimization politics), or ethnic solidarity courses. I'm not sure how effective the law will be, because no doubt schools will claim their ethnic courses don't fall within relevant restrictions.

Kudos to Schwarzenegger Over California Budget

Facing nearly a $20B shortfall, the Governator is insisting on painful spending cuts without raising taxes, including deep cuts on social programs, state worker pay cuts, and no bill will be signed without pension reform. No doubt the Democrats will try to siphon money from higher education and state parks, protected by Schwarzenegger. The unions will fight pension reform tooth-and-nail, but it has to be done. I like the fact that Schwarzenegger is holding firm against increasing taxes, which would make his state even less competitive. I have a number of differences with Schwarzenegger on his support of last year's stimulus bill, his misguided lip service to growth-crippling environmental legislation, his position in favor of gay "marriage", etc., and I'm not sure how much political strength he carries given his now extremely low approval ratings. But his broad approach is holding to line on taxes and spending cuts which reflect greater emphasis on individual responsibility is a step in the right direction.

Political Cartoon

Gary Varvel is referencing a new CBO estimate that includes at least another $115B in health care costs over the next 10 years in terms of federal agency costs, community health centers, and Indian health care; the basic bureaucratic spin is these costs weren't included in the original estimates because authorizations for spending do not necessarily result in expenditures.


Quote of the Day

Practice is the best of all instructors.
Publilius Syrus


Musical Interlude: More "America" Songs

Kate Smith, "God Bless America"



James Brown, "Living in America"



Elvis Presley, "An American Trilogy"



Don McLean, "American Pie"   (for my cousin David: RIP)