Analytics

Saturday, July 6, 2024

Post #6816 J

Pandemic Report

The latest CDC weekly stats:




The fairly shallow summer surge continues, including an expected mini-surge over the current holiday weekend with I expect a record Sunday travel day. We are seeing some hospitalization rates consistent with the recent winter surge . It seems all the most populous states, e.g., CA, NY, TX and FL, are experiencing surges.

The latest news items include:

  • Some 1.2 M live in 15000 certified nursing homes; only 40%of residents received vaccinations lasr year. "The CDC report also revealed that during January’s COVID peak, the rate of hospitalizations among nursing home residents was more than eight times higher when compared to all U.S. adults, age 70 and older.. 
  • The first phase of human trials of nasal vaccines has started at 3 US sites. "Researchers believe the vaccine candidate may provide even better protection against emerging variants than the COVID vaccines given via injection."
  • We're seeing a lot of lawsuits over vaccines and/or mandates, etc.; in one case it involves a purported vaccine injury for which federal law restricts liability claims.

Other Notes

Bloated statistics on the blog roughly double the long term trend; we are trending at just under 500 posts this year.. My Twitter/X feed  impressions have probably improved somewhat the last couple of weeks

My latest PC project has been getting 2 older HP notebook computers.(and a third ASUS model)  I didn't keep up the patching. I ended up having to replace a couple of power cords (easier said than done). Some of the setup includes redundancy. but I have also use them for specialized purposes. For example, I have a license for Microsoft Office including Visio on one system.. Years ago I bought a Smartcard reader and paid for a license of ActivClient so I could access government webmail, certain training websites, etc. (In one position I was waiting for a NIPR account.) On one PC, I have my only copy of AskSam, a freeform database software I originally purchased in the 80's but went out of business in the 2010's. I was unable to install it on newer PC's (I think it wanted a defunct website to register/install.)

I still don't know why I cannot download Kindle titles on my desktop workhorse but I can on one of my micro-PCs.

WWE had its latest PLE Money in the Bank. (The key matches are to win a contract guaranteeing a championship match) So McIntyre won the match  and tried to cash in for his former World title. only for CM Punk to foil his championship bid for the third time. I was also not happy to see Bron Breakker lose his challenge for the Intercontinental title.