Analytics

Thursday, October 26, 2023

Post #6467 M: McClanahan on Do We Have a Corporate Oligarchy? ; Red Meat Causes Diabetes? ; Stossel on Rand Paul and COVID-19 Politics

Quote of the Day

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions

which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. 
Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
Albert Einstein   

McClanahan on Do We Have a Corporate Oligarchy?

Red Meat Causes Diabetes? 

One of the first things a future researcher learns in Research 101 is a healthy respect for the limitations of self-report data. A personal story here. I remember during my campus visit (on-site job interview) to UWM, I presented some research findings of subjective factors in appraising application software documentation. One of their then doctoral students (DM) then pointed out the limitations of subjective research, wowing his fellow colleagues and professors with his profound (predictable) insight. (I had specifically pointed out the need for further reliability and validation of the proposed measure,)

I also have a separate layman's nutrition blog where I explore issues like in the presented clip. Why present this topic? In fact, over the history of the blog, I've occasionally discussed government intervention in the food market, e.g., trade wars, SNAP, soda taxation, sugar subsidies, and the food pyramid/low-fat diet. On a personal note, grass-fed beef, lamb, organ meats, etc. are a regular part of my diet; I tend to limit processed meats like hot dogs, fruit juices and the "white foods", like sugar, bread, rice and potatoes.

Stossel on Rand Paul and COVID-19 Politics

Note: I disagree with Rand Paul on these issues, but occasionally I'll present an alternate point of view.

Choose Life

Political Cartoon

Courtesy of Michael Ramirez via Townhall

Musical Interlude: #1 Hits of 2022 

Future, "WAIT FOR U" ft. Drake, Tems