Analytics

Saturday, September 16, 2023

Post #6410 J

 Pandemic Report

The latest stats from CDC:



The latest daily from Worldometers:


It's difficult and imprudent to make a call on the ongoing summer mini-wave. It is obviously still bad and worrisome with reported hospitalization and deaths still increasing but we may be past the inflection point as we head down the final week of summer, as increases fall to single-digit percentages. However, it'll take more than one data point to confirm a trend.

Most of the focus this past week has been the long-anticipated approval of the new monovalent omicron mRNA COVID-19 shots. Now it's a question of vendor rollouts, with some pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens and/or Rite Aid) indicating they are starting to accept appointments over this weekend for at least some locations as supplies are rolled out. (I checked vaccines.gov for my zip code and found no locations within 100 miles although I didn't see a filter on shot types. It may be a website issue; I would be very surprised if earlier shots were unavailable. I checked one chain directly and their local location shows no short-term appointments available. The last time I checked Walmart's scheduling system, they had asterisked COVID-19 shots, suggesting uncertainty over new vaccines in stock.)

Anti-vaxxer sentiment has surged especially in right wing circles. I noticed podcaster Megyn Kelly expressed regret over her own recent shots. Florida under DeSantis is discouraging taking the vaccine unless you're in an at-risk population like the elderly. A recent poll shows a majority of Americans are interested in taking the vaccine, but only 40% or so of Republicans.

The costs of the new shot will shift from the government to insurers but no out-of-pocket for the patient is expected. The government will foot the bill for the underinsured but they may be administered by local health departments.

Other Notes

The Singapore flood of page hits, about 19K over the past week, with some signs of deescalating late in the week from a 3K+ daily clip. It really hasn't affected my individual post stats. To some extent I appreciate my blog is getting attention, but I prefer honest, reliable stats

I was in an argument with a health insurer customer agent. The hospital arranged through them to lease some portable home equipment, but basically it requires some routine visiting healthcare professionals to function. (I would prefer to have clinic visits, but no good.) Apparently, local agencies are either fully booked or they won't work with my insurer--I was recently told by the hospital they have given up trying to do the placement, and we've worked out substitute measures. The way it works is the equipment had to be delivered before the agencies could discuss placement. So the problem is the insurer is leasing the equipment and funding the supplies, going unused. I contacted the insurer saying they need to arrange pickup, and the customer agent was in a state of denial and wanted to send me a list of providers they've worked with. I know at least 2 groups locally had been working on the placement and I assume they worked with the insurer; maybe those common listings were fully booked. So no resolution.

I watched the Amazon documentary Kelce after watching my Minnesota Vikings lose again Thursday night. Jasion, the All-Pro Philadelphia Eagles center, is the real focus along with younger brother Travis, a Kansas City Chiefs tight end, probably better known for a rumored relationship with mega country star Taylor Swift. Travis ran into issues when he started high school, and the brothers briefly played together in high school and college (Cincinnati). The main focus is on last season which ended with their teams meeting in the Super Bowl, narrowly won by the Chiefs. If you don't end up rooting for the gentle bear of Jason, his wife and their 3 little girls, the youngest newborn, you don't have a heart. The movie ends with Jason deciding whether to retire, worried whether prospective CTE would hurt his quality of life raising their little girls. Highly recommended.