Analytics

Saturday, August 5, 2023

Post #6351 J

 Pandemic Report

The latest CDC stats:








As is clear from the statistics summary above, we are in an uptick in hospitalizations; as I recently mentioned, this is a consequence of refuge from an unprecedented heat wave. Less circulation leads to a concentration of virus.

So, most doctors ate focusing on empirically tested guidelines:

  • get tested if and when you experience classic flu like symptoms and/or newer ones like pink eye
  • for most people in good health, you are best protected from serious health issued if you've naturally (prior infection) and/or acquired immunity protection (i.e., through vaccines). Know that protection can wane over time and newer variants can to some extent evade such protection but will generally limit illness to a minor form. Consider getting boosted with a more recent bivalent booster if you haven't already over the past year. 
  • if and when COVID-19 is detected, consider immediately relevant oral medications. like Pfizer's Paxlovid.
  • if you are in an at-risk group, e.g., older or impaired immunity, consider updating your booster after 6 or more months since your last booster. Limit social gatherings; consider using higher quality (e.g., N95) facemasks.

Other Notes

I recently went through an outpatient procedure, which is related to a painful condition. It doesn't cure the condition directly but deals with the underlying cause. I had ti go through expensive tests (nearly $2000 out of my own pocket), not to mention a preopp that I had to wait out over last weekend. (A couple of blood test results seemed to turn abnormal from just 2 months ago, not disqualifying, but odd, I saw a similar thing with an earlier outlier thyroid reading, now back in a normal range.) Basically, I'm having to dig into savings to pay off my credit card this month, and that's before the big claims go through insurance. Insurance has been bleeding my deductible dry. Not to mention I've had to buy a lot of health supplies through Amazon and some through eBay since insurance doesn't really cover it. The hospital has been trying to order other supplies for me, but I'm not getting them, I don't know if the suppliers are getting shut down by insurance; nobody, including the vendor, is contacting me.

So the latest hassle is that my procedure physician prescribed something for me and God knows why but he sent the prescription to some Walgreens somewhere (the only thing you need to know is that Walgreens is not my pharmacy) When my pharmacy finally got the prescription, they couldn't fill it because Walgreens still showed it filled. So, I had to have them cancel the Walgreens order.