Analytics

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Post #6342 J

 Pandemic Report

The latest CDC stats:



There is evidence of a mid-summer COVID-19 mini-surge based on hospital admissions, emergency department visits and test positivity, even things like wastewater, maybe up 30% off late spring lows. To a certain extent, this is expected as people seek refuge in air-conditioned indoors from historic heat waves. No signs yet of an evolutionary leap like to Delta or omicron. It's likely this wave will dissipate 

One of the more interesting arguments from the COVID-19 lab leak theorists is that zoonotic diseases tend to have a pattern of more volatile iteration cycles; I'm not saying I find the point compelling, but I would like to see the other side respond (maybe it has and I haven't seen it).

Other Notes

Some slow days like Friday's 12 pageviews, but it appears likely this month will surpass last month's total, but in part because the month is longer.

I was trying to figure how an Instagram link from ABC was failing to show anything when it turned out to be related to my using a VPN and getting caught in CAPTCHA hell. I wasn't THAT motivated to see a program promo.

A follow-up to my discussion last week of being scammed in a recent eBay transaction. To my surprise, eBay allowed to let ne return the product, and I got a notification yesterday eBay had credited my card.

Hallmark's Christmas in July is winding down. I think I was most surprised seeing them play some Candace Cameron Bure movies. Bure used to be a Countdown to Christmas hostess. Bure left Hallmark a couple of years back when it started including non-traditional couples in storylines. She has joined a competing family-oriented network, better reflecting her Christian values