Analytics

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Post #6211 M: Criminal charges for flying a drone; "Why do you CARe so much??"; Why More Older Americans Never Want to Retire

 Quote of the Day

Nothing but heaven itself is better 
than a friend who is really a friend.
Plautus  

Criminal charges for flying a drone

"Why do you CARe so much??"

WSJ: Why More Older Americans Never Want to Retire

I myself have no short-term plans to retire, even as others I know have retired by my age, including younger siblings (unlike me, with pension plans). There are a number of reasons, some of which were mentioned in this clip (not involving my input): I enjoy my work as an IT professional. my retirement savings have taken a big hit since 2020, I am concerned that senior entitlements are on a short-term unsustainable course, and I expect my current health insurance will be more limited under Medicare (at minimum, I would have to find a new doctor). 

But to be honest, a number of us older Americans aren't ready to retire to a boring lifestyle of TV shows and playing horseshoes. In some cases, you can even work remotely. My dissertation adviser Richard Scamell got his PhD from UT in the early 70's, so (if still active), he celebrated his 50th anniversary as a professor. If you add a typical 5-6 years for 2 advanced degrees past a bachelor's degree at 21 (?), that would put him at least in his late 70's. (This assumes continuous schooling, typical college age and no compressed degree programs. For instance, I earned my first degree at 19. But I started my second Master's part-time 5 years later.) As far as I can tell, he is still in the UH faculty; he's not listed as retired or as a professor emeritus. (I last contacted him at his school email back in late 2019 after Bruce Breeding, my officemate who also had him as a dissertation chair, had passed.)

Choose Life

Musical Interlude: #1 Hits of 2007

Alicia Keys, "No One". And that's a wrap on 2007.