Analytics

Friday, April 7, 2023

Post #6185 J

 Pandemic Report

The latest stats from WaPo:


The latest from CDC:



The number of cases seems to be stabilizing at about 25K cases daily, still worrisome, still too many people dying; the reason this is troubling is because the longer we are in the pandemic, the more likely new variants. According to the Gray Lady, the FDA will soon authorize a second bivalent/updated booster for seniors and the immunocompromised. There is an interesting piece on CNN on next-generation vaccines, a nasal vaccine in Germany, which has proven promising in hamsters. It has more of an old-fashioned approach (weakened form of the virus), more of a localized vs. blood-carried antibody defense, with probably more of a sterilizing benefit, an ideal most people think vaccines confer, not true with mRNA vaccines.

Other Notes

Slower start of the month to blog readership, significantly below the pace of the last 2 months, but probably similar to the prior 2 weeks.

Well, in terms of PC issues, I noticed an oddity of my AskSam installation I've recently mentioned. Somehow the software lets me register, enough to let me use the product, but for some reason it's not sustaining registration. (The company went out of business in 2013.)  So, I have to "reregister" after a certain amount of time. [Actually, it's more serious than that that. Somehow it got deinstalled before I just tried to launch it via my taskbar icon while writing this piece. Security software? Not sure.)