Analytics

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Post #6153 Rant of the Day: Some Comments on Kaepernick

I've written a number of critical tweets and an occasional blog post on former NFL quarterback/protester Colin Kaepernick. I've been critical, if not harsh, of Kaepernick's skills near the end of his career by 2017, little more than an overpaid backup (third-string?) quarterback. To be honest, I was repeating the claims of others on Twitter or on the Internet; I got flamed by the Kaepernick trolls, but they didn't challenge his status. One of the lessons I learned pursuing a philosophy degree is not relying on secondary sources. Brion McClanahan, a historian I routinely clip in my daily blog posts, routines references Founding Fathers, state legislative debates. I'm a Vikings fan, not a 49ers fan; I didn't really follow Kaepernick during his active career as a starter in 2012-16. (Technically his last game was in early January 2017 as part of the 2016 season.)

So, I did my due diligence in looking at Kaepernick's career via search engines. The Navada QB played from 2011 through 2016. In 2011, he was in a couple of games as a backup quarterback. 2012 was his breakthrough year, as he led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, losing to the Baltimore Revens by 3 points. 2013 saw the 49ers make it to the NFC championship again., this time losing to Seattle. That would be his last appearance in the playoffs. His early success led to a big contract that would pay him nearly $12M for his final season.

In 2014 the 49ers missed the playoffs. The 2015 season was disastrous.  He went 2-6 before being benched. Only 1 of those losses was close. He was unhappy and wanted to be traded. I think he was nearly traded to Denver, among other teams. I don't think it was revealed why the trades didn't come. It's possible that Kaepernick would have had to agree to a salary cut, the 49ers wouldn't get enough compensation or high enough draft picks, etc.

2016 was notable for multiple reasons. He started with his social justice protest in the preseason by sitting during the National Anthem; he was later persuaded to alternatively kneel. We'll discuss the protest shortly, but he started the season on the bench, unrelated to the protest (he had an injured left shoulder at the end of 2015, and I think he had showed up in questionable shape in training camp). (It is true that the 49ers had 3 quarterbacks, but only 2 were on the active roster, and I believe Kaepernick stayed on the active roster.) He played the last 11 games, only 1 win. The most notorious loss was against the Bears where he completed 1 of 4 passes for 4 yards and got sacked a handful of times, resulting in negative passing yards through 3 quarters, getting benched the final quarter.

Kaepernick had an option year left on his SF contract but opted out. Again, it's not clear why.  Perhaps he knew he was not part of SF's plans moving forward. Maybe another suboptimal year would undermine his position as a free agent.

But let's point out the average NFL career is 3.3 years, 4.4 as quarterback (20-year pros like Tom Brady are rare). One analyst argues Kaepernick's scrambling style was initially novel to the league's defenses but they adjusted over time and his stats drifted down. He often operated out of the pocket and shifted to a runner's mentality and lost track of his receivers. Mobile quarterbacks often risk serious injuries. Moreover, Kaepernick didn't have a number of different passes in his arsenal, more like a baseball pitcher who only throws fastballs.

Now it's hard to blame Kaepernick alone for those last 3 seasons out of the playoffs'; a lot depends on the blocking from his teammates, coaching, etc. But he was inconsistent. For example, before the Chicago fiasco, he had decent passing statistics in the prior 4 games (all losses). Still, he has a reasonably average to good career rating; (Passer rating is a composite of attempts, completions, yardage, touchdowns and interceptions.)

Now I have a nuanced take on the above Anthem/kneeling kerfuffle. On principle, I oppose celebrating nationalism at athletic contests; I would personally prefer no Anthem at sports events. While the libertarian side of me is tolerant of Kaepernick's protest, the issue I have is that the players agreed to a code of contact of expected behavior, of standing on the field during the Anthem. Whereas I don't believe in the social justice movement, I do respect Kaepernick's right to free expression. To me, it's more of an issue of the time and place. 

I know the US military has been a sponsor of the NFL, which sees it as a recruiting tool. The protests posed a threat to that relationship. Not only that, but up to 70% were personally opposed to the protests although a solid majority supported the right to protest.  Personally, I grew up as a military brat, and I still hold a strong reverence for the country's songs, flag and other symbols. That being said, I think we're oversubscribed in domestic and international meddling.

I think if and when an entertainer or celebrity meddles in politics, he can alienate up to half or more of his fans. As we mentioned earlier, the 49ers had sought to trade him before the 2016 season; Whatever had failed--whether his playing style fit with his new team's offense, his sliding numbers and/or injury status, trade compensation, etc., his unpopular leadership in the protest didn't help his cause for team management on the fence.

So, did the NFL collude against Kaepernick joining another team? Was he blackballed because of involvement in the protest? I don't think so. For one thing, he had already said he wouldn't kneel the next season. And the 49ers noted at the time the door was open if he wanted to return for the 2017 season, at the time they didn't have a QB on the roster. Many players across the league joined the protest--even an owner, without repercussions. He did have a few solid games in 2016 even if in a losing cause. I think the fact he was benched several games in his last 2 seasons and didn't lead to the playoffs his last 3 seasons limited his options.

A Twitter troll pointed out the NFL settled the Kaepernick collusion suit (before arbiter judgment). I don't think this proves anything. The arbiter denied an NFL motion to dismiss. Both sides decided to settle, sensing a risk in the outcome. I don't think the NFL saw the suit as good PR.

I think his career is over, not playing a down in over 6 seasons.

As for Trump engaging in the culture wars over the protests at the expense of Kaepernick, I see it as an assault on the First Amendment.

So what motivated this post now? Kaepernick was recently quoted calling his white adoptive parents "racist". I'm sure any parent has his own faults as a fallible human being. But throwing your folks under the bus is contemptible. Kaepernick needs to stop playing the victim card and man up.