Analytics

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jack Kemp: RIP to a Great American

In my evolution from political liberalism in the 1980's, starting with (nonpartisan) economics courses during the pursuit of my MBA, ironically I wasn't so much inspired so much by Ronald Reagan, formidable as his communication skills and his likability were, as with certain intellectuals and idea men, e.g., William F. Buckley, Robert Bork, and Jack Kemp.

Former pro football champion and Most Valuable Player quarterback Jack Kemp shared Reagan's trademark optimism and passion for supply-side economics. The former 9-term Congressman, Housing Secretary under G.H.W. Bush and 1996 GOP Vice Presidential nominee was known for his attempts to broaden the Republican base, particularly in minority communities, and his innovative approaches to address the needs of those working and living in urban America, including tax-advantaged free enterprise zones, immigration reform and public housing tenant ownership programs, all of which I fervently support, along with a concept he himself used as a title to one of his books, "An American Renaissance".

I was an enthusiastic support of the 1996 GOP Presidential ticket, Bob Dole/Jack Kemp. To this day, I wonder how things might have been different if Dole had been elected instead of narcissistic Bill Clinton, whom stained the American Presidency with his violations of sexual harassment policies, perjury and obstruction of justice. For instance, how would Dole have handled the threat of Osama bin Laden? How would the partnership of President Dole and Speaker Gingrich have built upon the foundation of the Contract with America? How differently would the Republican Party be today if Jack Kemp's big-tent, inclusive vision for the GOP had taken root?

The 73-year-old husband and father of four was diagnosed last January in the late stages of cancer, which had already spread to multiple organs. He was an honorable, passionate, and compassionate man, a faithful public servant. He may be gone, but his spirit lives on in all of us whom ardently share Jack Kemp's vision of an all-inclusive conservatism and praise God for the gift of Jack's leadership and example.

I conclude this reflection with the words of the 23rd Psalm:
The Lord is my Shepherd;
I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul;
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
for Thou art with me;
Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.