Analytics

Friday, April 24, 2009

Miscellany: 4/24/09

Kudos to American Airlines...

for explicitly recognizing troops in a couple of symbolic ways on my trip from BWI to Dallas today. Maybe it's an everyday thing, and I just didn't know about it. But I was touched when I heard the agent at the gate invite the first-class passengers to board--and all uniformed military personnel as well. A fine young serviceman of color arrived at the gate area after the earlier announcements and was patiently waiting his turn; I went over to him and let him know he could board at any time, and he politely thanked me for the tip. I feel so blessed knowing that our country is protected by outstanding young men and women just like him. Also, the pilot let us know we were joined by several troops returning home from overseas duties, and the travelers all started clapping in appreciation.

Kudos Also to McDonald's....

The new Shrek promotion focuses on a healthier Happy Meal--white meat chicken nuggets, apple slices substituting for french fries, and low-fat mik in place of soda pop. As the owner of a few shares (ever since I made them the focal point of my capstone MBA business strategies course), I'm happy to see them moving in the right direction. Now if we can get them to do the same with adult combo meals, e.g., substituting a side salad with low-fat dressing versus fries and bottled water in place of soft drinks... I'm still hoping that the company will provide other alternatives as well, such as a choice of a whole wheat bun or a tuna wrap in lieu of Filet-O-Fish. There are things I question about McDonald's strategy, e.g., Boston Market. I always thought that the Carver sandwiches would have have nicely complemented their lunch fare, and I think that McDonald's could have sold a ton of rotisserie chickens to commuters going home and/or used the Boston Market formula to build up their long-elusive dinner crowd.

Garofalo Needs to Shut Up

Calling Tax Day tea party participants racists for opposing the policies of the worst tax-and-spender since LBJ and one of the least experienced Presidents in American history is ludicrous. It's not so much she opposes conservatives like myself; I'm used to people disagreeing with me. I just think uncivility is bad for business. I used to be one of Bruce Springsteen's biggest fans, but when he decided that people were as interested in his political rants as in his music, I lost interest and haven't bought an album since then.

Carrie Prejean, Miss California USA, is a Gift From God

I haven't watched a beauty pageant in years, and I'm glad to see we've gone past whether contestants believe in peace vs. war. But the vicious personal attacks against Carrie Prejean for saying she supports the traditional concept of marriage are unacceptable. It's even gotten to the point that people are claiming the runner-up DESPITE being given the most controversial question to answer would never have won anyway. Give me a break...