Analytics

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dr. George Zinkhan: A Former Student's Shock

In my recent "Need for Educational Choice" post*, I briefly mentioned that my MBA marketing administration professor had submitted a number of papers written in his course sections to some independent judge, and the latter had chosen my paper, describing the commercial failure of a computer application called CASHFAST, as the best of the group. Dr. George Zinkhan had stopped me in the hall to tell me the news (I was at the time now a PhD student with a shared office on the opposite end of the same floor as the marketing department); he quickly added he thought the same.

I had no idea when I went to ABC News' website to check out an alert that a University of Georgia professor was being pursued as a suspect in a multiple-murder case including his estranged wife, I would find the name of George Zinkhan and a photo of his familiar face. I hope to God that the rumors are not true, but there are enough circumstantial details that lead one to suspect it is true.

In my experience, George Zinkhan, as a professor, was very good and professional. I would never have expected these allegations; it doesn't fit with what I remember of the man. Yet something very wrong happened in Georgia, and nobody is above the law. I pray for the victims of this crime and tragedy and the children whom have lost their mother--and possibly the presence of their father in their lives. If and when Dr. Zinkhan is apprehended, I hope that he will be extended his full Constitutional rights, including that of a fair trial.

[7/28/12, further edits 8/18/12]. Corrections and follow-up: I originally referenced my academic retrospective Christmas Eve post; it was actually in a subsequent post, "Need for Educational Choice for Inner City Schools", when I first discussed Dr. Zinkhan. Second error: I identified victim murder Marie Bruce as Zinkhan's ex-wife (based on mistaken news accounts, e.g., click here); in fact, Zinkhan did have an ex-wife and children (from his first marriage) in Texas. Zinkhan was in the process of divorcing Marie Bruce but hoped for a reconciliation. Zinkhan's body was found a few days later a few miles away after the murders; he had shot himself in a covered self-dug grave. I do a follow-up on the Zinkhan story in my 7/22/12 post.
Courtesy AP