Analytics

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Miscellany: 11/19/09

Government Accountability Office Issues Report on Stimulus/Jobs

First of all, isn't the GAO an oxymoron? In any event, the first thing that pops up is the notable observation that nearly 10% of the jobs saved or created are from stimulus projects which in fact have not been funded (no doubt the Treasury is already counting the tax revenues coming from those unfunded jobs...) Then there's the billion or so that has been spent with no jobs to show for it... There's a self-congratulatory note on improving transparency (although the usability of that information is suspect, approximately 10% of contracts still aren't listed and it looks like the projects are outstripping the ability of agencies to oversee them). Significant reporting and management control problems? Of course....

Palin Questions McCain's Decision on Wright Exclusion During the General Campaign

It's hard to avoid Palin's book tour interview snippets, with Palin appearing on multiple Fox News primetime shows.  It was McCain's call not to use the Rev. Jeremiah Wright story, which broke out during the spring; I suspect it was because of McCain's desire not to let any racially divisive issue surface during the general campaign, in the way, say, that the G.H.W. Bush campaign's use of the Willie Horton issue did, originally raised by Dukakis' rival for the nomination, Al Gore. Palin's argument for using the issue is not particularly novel or profound; the issue was repeatedly raised by other conservatives during the general campaign.

I have a more nuanced view on the issue; I don't think McCain's campaign would have benefited much from using the issue, mostly because the American public was already aware of the issue (and I doubt few of the people whom voted for Obama would have rethought their decision based on Wright) and Obama had already cut his ties to Wright. I think I would have raised the issue more in terms of Obama's being part of the corrupt Chicago Democratic system allied with Rezko, Blagojevich and others. The issue for me dealt with Obama's claiming he was unaware of Wright's radical views during his 20-year association with the church and his repeated failure to address Wright's approach which contradicted his own.

Political Cartoon

I don't think anything annoys me more politically that getting lectured by a Communist government over our trade protectionist policies and our government's lack of fiscal discipline.




Musical Interlude: My Favorite Bee Gees' Song

What can you say about the Brothers Gibb, celebrating their golden anniversary? I think it's impossible for them to write or record a bad song. I'm a huge fan: their soft rock origins, their disco phase (my favorite song of the latter 70's: "Tragedy"), and their more recent material. Somehow it seems so unfair to pick out any song, because the tunes are wonderfully melodic and well-crafted, and the harmonies are exquisite. I enjoy the lesser known tunes as well. For example, the wistful "First of May" brings back fond memories and simple pleasures of youth, our first childhood crushes, and the friends left behind; I remember returning to my maternal grandfather's Fall River home for a holiday visit as a college student, struck by how much smaller the house and yard seemed versus my childhood memories. And, of course, the Bee Gees wrote huge hits for other artists, including what I consider Barbra Streisand's best pop hit, "Woman in Love".

"Run to Me" came across to me as a more contemporary, mature version of the Rogers and Hammerstein's "You Are Sixteen Going on Seventeen" (from my favorite movie of all time, "The Sound of Music"). This song is simply glorious, from the distinctive initial guitar string plucks on to that soaring chorus and trademark harmony--I wouldn't change a thing.

We miss you, Maurice; rest in peace.