Analytics

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Post #5646 Social Media Digest

Facebook

 Well, Facebook tried to censor me for the first time (most of my posts these days are reposts,sometimes annotated). The targeted post (from the group Government Sucks) focused on German taxes on tampons. I'm a bachelor; what do I know about tampons? What I didn't know is that this is a controversial issue which has been fact-checked, and Facebook is taking sides. Apparently years back Germany taxed tampons at a luxury goods rate of 19%. The Tampon Book was a workaround for which books were taxed at 7%. Finally Germany changed the tax rate in 2020. That seems to be what the kerfuffle is all about--the 19% tax is in the past. But it was a real thing, and a good example of how people work around bad public policy and sometimes forces its change.

 

Twitter 

Well, I'm back into single-digit followers, an annual low.