Analytics

Monday, January 31, 2022

Post #5545 Social Media Digest

 Facebook

Well, I got suspended from Twitter--AGAIN. This time it involved Trump.
 
SPOILER ALERT: I do NOT like Trump. Never liked him, long before he ever got into politics. To anyone who has followed me on Twitter, maybe even here on Facebook, this is no secret. I'm not going to rant about him here. I have family and relatives, including a close cousin who is a gushing Trumpkin, who supported and voted for the man. I've been a registered member of the Libertarian Party since 2016. Let's just say my relatives and I agree to disagree about Trump and politics.
 
Even though Trump has been banned from Twitter for obvious things (if I did a fraction of what he did on the platform, I would have been banned years ago; I think Twitter let him get away with stuff because he drew people to the platform), there are plenty of Trumpkins on the platform.
 
If you aren't familiar with what he's done since leaving office, he has this pompous 
stationery like "from the desk of the 45th POTUS", and I don't think Twitter filters these images.
 
Now I'm not going to go into the events of Jan. 6 or his earlier extortion of Ukraine President Zelensky, but I supported his impeachment and conviction both times, all counts. I'm not going into his unprecedented rejection of election results and his immoral and illegal actions in the aftermath of the election. This deals with Mike Pence. As you know, Trump schemed to deprive Biden of enough electoral votes to throw the election into the House where each state would have 1 vote, and Trump was convinced he controlled enough states to win reelection. This was insane and would never get past SCOTUS review.
 
Keep in mind the electoral college met on Dec. 14, and that was the "real vote". The Jan. 6 vote in Congress was mostly ceremonial. Trump had lost about 61 of 62 court cases, including at SCOTUS. It was no accident that Trump held a rally in DC just before Congress was to ratify the election.

 

Pence had made it clear he did not have authority under the 12th Amendment to reject the public Dec. 14 results. We also know the radical Trumpkins targeted Pence for the crime of disloyalty to Trump on Jan. 6 and Trump specifically threw Pence under the bus.
 
So what does all of this have to do with Twitter today. Well, if you remember, there was the disputed Hayes/Tilden election of 1876. Tilden, the Democrat, won 51% of the vote, but lost all 20 electoral votes in dispute in the Compromise of 1877 to lose by a single electoral vote. In essence, Dems ceded the election in exchange for an end to Reconstruction. Eventually Congress in 1887 passed the Electoral Count Act.
 
So one of the things Congress has been looking at in a bipartisan fashion in the aftermath of the election is reforming said act. Susan Collins (R-ME) is involved, and, of course, Trump is still pissed at her vote to convict him in the second impeachment (over Jan. 6). 
 
So Trump (the Moron) argues in his statement that the whole discussion of reform "proves" the (disloyal) Pence did have the authority to reject electoral votes. Um, no it doesn't. Read the 12th Amendment: "The President of the Senate [VPOTUS] shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted". There is no wiggle room for him to refuse to accept state results.
 
So the Trumpkin troll basically repeats Trump's assertion that Pence had let us down.
I have had my fill of Trump's election lies and attempts to subvert the Constitution--I had no dog in this fight; I didn't support Biden or Trump in 2020.
 
I responded something to the effect that a Traitor-in-Chief should be publicly executed. To be honest, a treason conviction can result in a death sentence but probably more relevant to Trump's misconduct under 18 USC Ch. 115 are §2383. Rebellion or insurrection or §2384. Seditious conspiracy. These can result in fines, imprisonment and/or ineligibility for future office. Public executions have not been done I think since the 1930's.
 
I am pro-life and oppose capital punishment, even for scum like Donald J. Trump. I was engaging in literary license, unhappy that Pence's life was being targeted by Trump's lawless mob and wanting to redirect attention to Trump's own misconduct.
 
The suspension happened literally instantaneously; I didn't have a chance to view the tweet in question. It was bizarre, initially claiming I was harassing the Trumpkin troll. Obviously their algorithms don't understand context.

Twitter