Analytics

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Miscellany: 2/09/16

Quote of the Day
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and 
you will help them become what they are capable of becoming.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

NOTE: I'm publishing my daily post earlier than usual. I will publish a one-off post later tonight on the NH vote, although I've already speculated that Trump and Sanders, who have dominated the polls for weeks, will likely win.

Tweet of the Day
Image of the Day


Campus Rape and the Evidence



Chris Christie, Failed Big Governor



Don Boudreaux's List of 5 Wackiest Ideas Held by Many Economists
(5) the idea that government-subsidized health care will lower the cost of health care;
(4) the notion that government must have monopoly control over the money supply in order to ensure sound performance of the economy;
(3) the belief that large differences among people in monetary incomes or monetary wealth reflect some market failure that ought to be ‘addressed’ by the state;
(2) the blind faith that government officials in democratic societies can be trusted to exercise power over people who economists do not trust to make choices for themselves;
(1b) the notion that welfare payments (other than EITC) subsidize employers by pushing workers’ wages lower, and
(1a) the notion that the minimum wage is, or can practically be, a boon to all low-skilled workers.
Lady Gaga Gave an Amazing Interpretation of the Star Spangled Banner



Choose Life: Boy, Oh Boy







Political Cartoon

Courtesy of the original artist via Twitter
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Jim Croce, "Time in a Bottle". My late second cousin Susie played this song repeatedly on the Christmas my family was in Germany. I was visiting my maternal grandfather, and he and my uncle priest usually spent Christmas at his nearby niece's home. I liked the song the first 2 dozen times she played it, but then it got really annoying. As a guest I had no right to complain--it was her house, but I was just amazed at the patience of the teen's family. To this day I cringe at hearing the song, Jim's second #1 ("Bad Bad Leroy Brown") which was released posthumously. (It's one of my quirks--like my aversion to animal crackers which I blamed for car sickness when my family moved to Florida.)



Political Humor: The REAL Choice on NH's Dem Primary Ballot


Vermin Supreme Says He 'Paved The Way For Donald Trump'
Who is Vermin Supreme and why does he say he "paved the way for Donald Trump"? newsy.com/56839
Posted by Newsy on Sunday, February 7, 2016