Analytics

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Miscellany: 2/07/16

Quote of the Day
While there's life, there's hope.
Cicero

Earlier One-Off Post: The Eighth 2016 GOP Presidential Debate

Tweet of the Day
An exchange:
Moving on:
Congratulations to the Super Bowl 50 Champion Denver Broncos

Well, I remember going to the local WalMart when I lived in WV around Super Bowl time last year and found them without chicken wings in stock. I hadn't had chicken wings since my former boss, a married man, decided to have lunch at Hooters years back. It's not that I don't like chicken wings; it has more to do with dieting. But when I read some media account talking about the tradition of watching the Super Bowl over hot wings, I decided to go to my latest WalMart and check availability. No problems. They had plenty in stock. I bought some microwavable buffalo wings, and my word--where have you been all my life? Yeah, I know--most readers may eat them at least once a week.

My next sister and two of her daughters live in Colorado, so I felt I knew which team they were supporting. In fact, my goddaughter and her fiance attended the AFC championship game. Still, I felt that the way Carolina had wiped out the competition, including the NFC championship, I felt my sister's team didn't have a shot. Well, the old saw that a great defense always beats a great offense ran true. (I do think the refs blew a completion call in the first half.) I'm happy for Peyton Manning, setting an all-time record with 200 wins. I think he should retire now with his Cinderella ending at the top of his game; I think Michael Jordan did--and then for some bizarre reason he came out of retirement, which turned out to be a mistake--most tellingly when he blew a dunk in a game to the crowd's laughter. There are aging players, even popular wrestlers who are in a state of denial (a prominent former Green Bay quarterback comes to mind). I always liked the way Ted Williams finished his major league career with his last home run. Yeah, Peyton evaded that question in post-game interviews, but he still has his health and nothing left to prove; I hope that he'll make the right decision.

Image of the Day


Political Potpourri

NH polls are notoriously volatile as Nate Silver (fivethirtyeight.com) recently noted. Apparently Bush had a 20-point lead in the polls before the 1980 primary, and Reagan blew him out by a similar percentage in the vote. Five new NH polls reported by RCP Sunday with Trump leading from 14-23 points, Rubio in second place in 3, once tied with Kasich., Cruz at third or fourth. A couple had Rubio at third, with Kasich or Cruz in second. No doubt these were before last night's debate. Will Trump's supporters turn out? Trump claims his ground game is up from Iowa. But recall the record-setting turnout in Iowa was mostly an anti-Trump vote.

Five NH Dem polls all have Sanders ahead of Clinton from 7 to 23 points.

More Obama Should Do In His Last Year Of Office



Reason Interviews Trumkins and Other Supporters Outside Last Night's Debate



Political Cartoon

Coutesy of Ken Catalino via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Jim Croce, "Bad Bad Leroy Brown"