Analytics

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Miscellany: 10/29/14

Quote of the Day
When the conduct of men is designed to be influenced, 
persuasion, kind unassuming persuasion, should ever be adopted. 
It is an old and true maxim that 'a drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.' 
So with men. 
If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. 
Therein is a drop of honey that catches his heart, which, say what he will, 
is the great highroad to his reason, and 
which, once gained, you will find but little trouble in convincing him of the justice of your cause, 
if indeed that cause is really a good one.
Abraham Lincoln

Image of the Day

Courtesy of Sen. Coburn (R-OK)
Tweet of the Day
Congratulations, World Champion Giants!

Madison Bumgarner pitched in relief, as I hinted in yesterday's post, and picked up his third win of the Series with an unbelievable final 5 scoreless innings in relief, following a Game 5 shutout; his only real threat came 2 outs in the ninth when an outfielder error got the hitter to stretch a single into three bases. It was only fitting that his most prolific hitting third baseman, Sandoval, caught a popup in foul territory for the final out. Tip of my hat to the Series MVP...

Yes, I did root for the Royals, who put up a valiant effort in the 3-2 loss. But as a natural lefty, I identify with the SF southpaw. There are 5 positions lefties play--pitcher, first base and the outfield. (Playing the other 4 infield positions typically require lefties to pivot to the other side in fielding and throwing; I am unaware of any lefty who has played those positions in the major leagues. Someone actually ran a query:
Using the always helpful baseball-reference.com, I ran a search for infielders (2B, SS, and 3B) who threw with their left hand since 1900. Here are some of the more interesting results:
When looking at players with at least five games played at any one of those three positions, only two players show up: Mike Squires and Hal Chase.
Decreasing the number to three [games] doubles the list, adding George Sisler and Don Mattingly.
If we drop the criterion to just one game played, the list "swells" to 14, including names like Lou Gehrig and Terry Francona.)
When I played teen baseball (my high school didn't field a baseball team), I had only a few prize plays: throwing out a runner trying to score from second on a base hit while playing right field; a backhanded spear of a line drive down the right-field line (the crowd applauded that one; the funny thing was I didn't even realize I caught the ball--I was trying to figure out where the ball went and eventually found it in my glove); a Willie Mays like running basket catch of a pop fly into shallow center field; and at first, tagging out the base runner the first time a pitcher ever threw to me at the position, and my unassisted double play on a soft line drive in the gap to right field. One of my coaches flirted with the idea of making me a pitcher; I had a lot of pop and accuracy from my natural sidearm motion. He wanted me to come down over the top; he quickly dropped the idea of using me; I don't think it ever got to the point of pitching batting practice. A shame, really, because for some odd reason most people I pitched informally to had a devil of a time trying to hit my sidearm pitches, and I was also playing around with a slider and knuckleball. I was even more unusual than that, because I can also throw right-handed (I occasionally played pickup games where only right-hander gloves were available) even harder--in fact, I've always thrown a football right-handed. I've mostly batted right-handed in games; I never had the talent to make it to the major leagues, but could you have imagined it if I had? A switch-pitching, switch-hitting freak show...

Facebook Corner

(Reason). Kaci Hickox, the nurse who escaped New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's clutches on Monday, now faces a threat of confinement by Maine Gov. Paul LePage.
The way right-wing authoritarian, anti-Constitutional trolls are trolling this thread is unconscionable. Just a reminder that from all the flights from West Africa this "contagion" of the number of diagnosed cases from passengers and everyone they've met can be counted on one hand. It's utterly disgusting that two GOP governors, who benefited from Tea Party political support, have publicly sided with irrational fear-mongering stoked by irresponsible national media coverage. The fact the fascists are still persecuting this poor woman who shows no symptoms and has repeatedly tested negative of Ebola is abominable.
What is even a greater tragedy is that you are so stupid and ill informed that you concluded that the governor of NY is a Republican. Idiot.
(edited) The [troll] didn't even read the blurb or recognize the picture of Maine's GOP governor--he thought it was Cuomo...

(LFC). "It is arguable that these Koch-funded organizations have done more for many so-called 'progressive' causes than progressives themselves. Koch funding has helped produce countless writers who have blown the lid off rampant police abuse, exposed horrific injustices from the War on Drugs, and repeatedly criticized the foreign policy blunders of both Republican and Democratic administrations."
The Koch money check is in the mail, right?
 I haven't gotten mine yet. Unfortunately, libertarians think you should earn your own money...

(Cato Institute). Here's how we can save Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): http://bit.ly/1zBhM0E
The politicians will likely do the kind of "reform" they always do, e.g., use the already diminishing retiree trust fund to replenish SSDI. Expect politicians to clamp down easier eligibility since I believe the 1980's? Not likely. You will see the predictable response from the Democrats that we are cutting back at the expense of the truly disabled. And they'll cut a commercial of Congressman Ryan dumping a wheelchair-bound disabled person off the cliff. And the GOP will fold like a cheap suit because it's just easier paying off the marginally disabled than having to fight off Democratic smears. I can just hear Alan Grayson now: "The GOP plan for saving SSDI is for disabled people to hurry up and die."

Free Range Kids Mom Talks Halloween



Welcome the Vets Home (Let's Hope Permanently)









Proposals









Political Cartoon
Courtesy of Henry Payne via Townhall
Musical Interlude: My Favorite Vocalists

Linda Ronstadt, "Hurt So Bad". Great backing guitar work...